Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Share: Dangerous Charade, by Shari Lohner

I'm very happy to share an excerpt with you today from Shari Lohner's debut book!  Dangerous Charade sounds so good. 
Dangerous Charade, by Shari Lohner

Genre:
Heat: Sensual
Buy Link:

To escape an arranged marriage Gabrielle Broussard flees her home to become an undercover investigator with an elite, all-female investigative agency.  Her first assignment, as governess at Westford castle to investigate the suspicious death of the Countess of Westford, quickly becomes complicated when she finds herself attracted to her number one suspect.

Lord Julien Blackwell is a survivor.  After his father’s bankruptcy, he becomes a self-made man in Victorian England’s booming industrial era.  Trapped into a loveless marriage, he has survived the shock of his wife’s sudden death.  But now he must survive rumors and outright accusations.  Hiring a private agency to investigate and prove his innocence seems like a good idea…until desire threatens to compromise both the case and the life of the investigator.

EXCERPT:

“One-two-three... two-two-three… very good.”  Julian held Gabrielle securely about the waist as they moved across the floor in perfect unison.  “You’re a surprisingly quick study.”

She nodded demurely, barely able to concentrate on whatever it was her feet were supposed to be doing. Or not doing. Dancing with Julian was proving to be even more unnerving than she had feared. Having his body but a breath away from hers was far too distracting. He was her number one murder suspect, and she needed to keep her wits about her now more than ever.

“Are you sure you’ve never waltzed before?” he asked.

“Never,” she lied.

He spun them around quickly, catching her off guard, causing her to cling to him tighter. “I believe you’re ready for Rocancourt’s ball. I no longer fear you will trip over both my feet and embarrass us silly.”

She pursed her lips. “I can assure you I would do no such thing, with or without your lessons.”

“You don’t say?” He furrowed his brow in mock thoughtfulness. “Do you know what I’m thinking, Gabrielle?”

“I cannot begin to imagine, my lord.” She cursed the butterflies in her stomach. The effect he had on her when he breathed her name in that seductive drawl of his was maddening.

He leaned down so his face was beside hers and whispered in her ear. “I think you have a secret.” He felt her body tense. “Oh, yes, I’m onto your little game.”
~*~

You can pick up your copy of Dangerous Charade at The Wild Rose Press.

Visit Shari at her website:

A Bit About Shari

I live in the midwest with my wonderful husband and pretentious cat.  When I'm not reading or writing, other hobbies I enjoy include hiking, biking, and chocolate and not necessarily in that order.

While I enjoy many genres, I'm particularly drawn to Victorian era romance stories that are feuled by forbidden love and quite often…murder.   The foggy streets, swirling coat tails and foreboding castles make it a difficult one to resist.

I have an undergraduate degree in biology and a half-finished master's degree in business.  Strange how I can't ever seem to find the time to complete the degree but I can find plenty of time to write 250+ page novels...  


Thanks to Shari for sharing with us today, and I wish you the best of luck with your book and all the others I know are in your future.

Stacey Joy Netzel

1 comment:

  1. Dangerous Charade sounds fantastic, Shari, and I loved the excerpt! I'm also from the Midwest, by the way, Northeast Wisconsin. :-)

    ReplyDelete