Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wacky Wednesday: Not so Wacky Storm...

I was going to share Colorado family vacation pictures today, but now that'll be next week Wednesday.  See, Sunday night we had a thunderstorm blow through Northeast Wisconsin.  My son had to take a friend home about 10p, but I asked him to wait until the storm had passed and when he came back, he asked if I'd seen the willow tree.  We had the biggest one in our yard blow over about 7-8 years ago, and since then, my son has cried 'wolf' about the willow trees more than once, so I figured this was the same thing.  Nope.
 


Cool picture, hey?  I love that I got a lightning strike in the background!  And no one was getting through this puppy.  By now it was 11:30p, so we called the county sherriff's department, who informed us they'd add it to the list and get to it as soon as they could.  I set the alarm for 6am, figuring we'd get started clearing if they hadn't showed up yet, but when I checked out the window, it was pushed into our yard already.  Either by the work crews or a neighboring farmer.

Then my hubby came in and told me about the garden.  A little background: This year I had to replant my beans three times and I still don't have as many as I'd like to can enough for a whole year; out of 24 tomato plants, only 4 or 5 are growing really well; my cucumbers had about 5 plants come up so there won't be many pickles to can; pepper plants aren't doing so well; and the weeds took over a good portion of the rest of the garden.  Lettuce, carrots, onions, spinach.  The best thing growing was the popcorn and brussel sprouts.  Well, as you can see in the picture below, the storm did a number on my corn as well.  (plus you can see the downed tree in the background.)


I'm really bummed about this.  I tried to stand the stalks up and get dirt around them to help, but don't hold much hope they'll survive.  Many of them have broken roots, and they're calling for more storms today.  Guess this is the year of the crappy garden.

I'm holding out my last hope for the brussell sprouts.  And praying we don't get any hailstorms in the next couple months. LOL

Have a great rest of the week everyone!  If you're in Wisconsin, stay cool!  (Supposed to hit 95 degrees today.)

Stacey Joy Netzel

9 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad you are okay! Just a few weeks ago we had similar storms with 70mph straight line winds. But our corn stood back up after a few days, so it may not be lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. :) My neighbor told me the same thing and when I checked the corn this morning (this happened Sunday night) it was already standing up again. I was amazed! And thankful. :) Glad you were okay with your storms, too. I know so many aren't so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm not a big fan of brussel sprouts, I hope for your sake that your crop survives. I'm glad you're okay. It just proves that old adage: Don't mess with Mother Nature!
    Take care and thanks for sharing the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, your poor garden. We've had a devil of a time getting our beans to grow too - darn cutworms. I love brussels sprouts so I hope you get a bumper crop.

    Thanks for the great pics, and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you and your family are ok. Bummer on the garden. Our garden has yielded very little this year. A couple handfuls of peas and tomatoes. My dh is pretty down about it -- it's his baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heat is so hard on the corn! It needs the nights to cool off. And that isn't happening in Nebraska ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the tree and so sorry about the garden! That's awful. But enjoy the 95 today. We're supposed to hit 105 here in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, what a storm. Poor little plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late here--sorry! Maeve, I never used to like Brussel sprouts until I started sauteing them with olive oil and seasoning salt. My hubby likes them, too.

    Lu/Grace, it's really disheartening when you spend all that time in a garden and things don't do well. I hope the rest of yours is good. Staying cool is a whole other matter...as I'm sure you know right now! The east is frying like we did a couple days ago.

    Penny, thanks! Tell your hubby I feel for him. Hope things get better or that you have a good farmer's market nearby.

    Sherri, yikes, and not much relief in sight when I watch the weather.

    Calisa--you, too, no relief yet. I hope you're doing okay there in OK!

    Clover, thanks for coming by. Stay cool if you can in Texas.

    I appreciate all the well wishes and send them back to all of you in this heat wave.

    ReplyDelete