Sunday, August 12, 2012

Canning Update - we have beans!

...and lots of 'em!

So, this is my before pic from my second batch of canning for pickles, first batch for beans about 2 weeks ago...

I mix green beans and yellow wax beans.
They look pretty in the jars and taste just as good!

And the after...

24 yummy pints of beans for the cold winter months!
I think I ended up with about 15 quarts of pickles (not pictured)
In between the above picture and the next one, I did more beans and pickles, and then just yesterday, I did a third batch of beans for 18 quarts, and a small batch of pickles netted another 5 quarts (back row of below pic).


With the 18 quarts of beans yesterday, and my previous batches, that gives me the equilivent of 100 pints for the year, which is just enough for this hungry family of 5. For pickles, I'm up to 40 quarts and 12 pints. Those we share with family.

Next up...TOMATOES! Which means there'll be a little bit more color in my pictures. :)

Spaghetti Sauce
Salsa
Sloppy Joe Sauce
Diced tomatoes for in Chili

Enjoy the rest of your summer everyone!

Stacey Joy Netzel

2 comments:

  1. You've been busy in a very domestic manner. But have you been writing?

    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have to raise that question, wouldn't you? :)

    Well, I've gotten a tiny bit of writing done. And a lot of writing business done. Once the kids are back in school I plan to set a schedule and get some major writing done.

    ReplyDelete